[Samba] roaming profiles moved to a new machine - big confusion

Friedrich Strohmaier listen_div at bits-fritz.de
Tue Jan 22 00:38:52 GMT 2008

Hello samba dancers,

I'm Friedrich Strohmaier and new to this mailing list.  More important:
I'm (very) new to PDCing Computers in a network, and I ran in big
troubles doing so.

Try to tell a long story in short: I'm a fairly experienced
administrator for linux systems, and was orderd to move a
serverinstallation (SuSE7.0, Samba2.2.x) to a new machine.  The old
machine did stop serving anything more, before I could set up a a
working system and finish tests.

That's what I did:
during the happy times both machines run:
- I set up the new machine's samba with the cloned configuration from
  the old one for testing purposes (I didn't know better! :o|)

- I disabled deprecated settings of samba 2.2.x according to the tesparm
  output.

- Few days later I changed the new machine's domain entry from DOMAIN to
  DOMAINTEST (from this moment the new machine was no longer a second
  PDC in one domain. again: I didn't know better.. :o))) Everything went
  fine!

- I run tests with one win2000 client, which I introduced to DOMAINTEST
  and noticed that problem of accessing files in the shares described
  below (that client is one of the two having problems of share files
  access)

after the old machine stopped serving:
- I imported all of the old machines files except samba3 adapted
  /etc/samba/smb.conf

- I restarted samba service

Now I have this:
- A running linux-box ubuntu 6.06.1 dapper drake LTS

- A running samba Version 3.0.22

- about 30 windows2000 clients which can't load their roaming profiles,
  but have acess to their shares

- 2 windows2000 clients, which load their roaming profiles (after again
  beeing introduced to the domain), but have problems to access files
  of their shares (aparently the win user logged in, is not recognized
  as a welcome user to them)

- a complete backup of the files from the old machine

Now there are two tasks for me:
1) getting the roaming profiles work again _and_ have good access to the
   share files. The latter is the more important.

Does anyone see the problem and probably the solution (and can give the
hint for it ;o)))?

2) take care, that _before_ the profiles will be loaded properly _all_
   of the meanwhile locally saved profiles are transferred in the samba
   servers profile directories.

What to care for while transferring the profiles -except to adjust the
unix permissions and ownership properly?

What is the shortest way, to get all in a working state?

Any help to get enlighted as well pointers to apropriate docu targets
are much apreciated.  :o))

btw.: If anyone reading this mail is located south part of Stuttart
Germany (location is Nürtingen) can give local support - please contact
me.

Details:

++++++++++++ Output testparm ++++++++++++
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[cdrom]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[leitung]"
Processing section "[verwalt]"
Processing section "[mitarb]"
Processing section "[share]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

[global]
        unix charset = CP850
        workgroup = INBUS
        interfaces = 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0, 127.0.0.1
        map to guest = Bad User
        log level = 2
        keepalive = 30
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        logon script = %U.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        domain master = Yes
        kernel oplocks = No
        passdb expand explicit = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Login Verzeichnis mit Batch Dateien
        path = /netlogon
        username = @gf
        read only = No
        create mask = 0775
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = No

[homes]
        comment = Heimatverzeichnis
        read only = No
        create mask = 0750
        browseable = No

[cdrom]
        comment = Linux CD-ROM
        path = /cdrom
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        locking = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[leitung]
        comment = Geschaeftsleitung
        path = /usr/leitung
        valid users = @gf
        write list = @gf
        force group = gf
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770
        browseable = No

[verwalt]
        comment = Verwaltung
        path = /usr/verwalt
        valid users = @vw
        write list = @vw
        force group = vw
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770
        browseable = No

[mitarb]
        comment = Mitarbeiter
        path = /usr/mitarb
        username = @ma
        force group = ma
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770
        directory mask = 0770

[share]
        comment = Dokumentation Linux
        path = /usr/share
        valid users = @gf
        write list = harder
        force group = gf
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770
        browseable = No
++++++++++++ Output testparm ++++++++++++

--
Friedrich
beste Grüße/best regards