[Samba] Strange locking behaviour upsets Apache

Fri Jan 18 14:23:10 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:10:40PM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > It's the Windows redirectory that might hold the file open
> > longer than the app does it.
>
> What is "Windows redirectory"?

Sorry, "Windows Redirector". It is the system component in a
Windows client operating system that redirects your drive d:
to a SMB share that resides on a file server.

> > BTW, what is your server platform? With Linux and activated
> > kernel oplock this should not happen.
>
> Server is Debian/Etch/amd64, but with a slightly newer-than-Etch kernel
> for hardware support: 2.6.22.

Hmm. This *should* work fine if you have not explicitly
disabled kernel oplocks in your smb.conf.

You might still try "oplocks = no". If you are not able to
do this, then I can't help you any further.

Sorry,

Volker