[Samba] Samba AD client's settings transfer

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 08:17:34 GMT 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Jimmy Choo wrote:

> I have successfully joined my Linux box(ubuntu feisty) to Active
> Directory using Samba.
> Now i have installed a new Linux distro(ubuntu gutsy) and want to join it to
> AD.
>
> The problem is that it is asking for some kind-of-password when i do
> "net ads testjoin".
>
> This implies that when joining a domain, some kind of mutual identity
> must have been stored
> by samba. right?
>
> The questions is how do i make the new distro join the domain using
> old samba data/settings?
> (basically is their some files which store the trust relationship
> which i need to copy over to new distro?)

If I understand what you're asking, then secrets.tdb is what you're looking
for. since that's what contains the machine account password.

Alternatively you just rejoin your new machine to the domain using user
credentials, where the user is permitted to join machines.

jh

--
"All publicity is good, except an obituary notice."  -- Brendan Behan