[Samba] XP Home and samba

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Jan 18 02:55:47 GMT 2008

I built a small embedded samba server  based on Samba 3.0.26b.  I tested
it locally with XP Pro running in a vmware VM.

All worked fine, so I shipped it.

Turns out the person using it is running XP Home.  Here's her note:

I have restarted the computer and waited ten minutes and still nothing.
All that comes up is the mshome under the Microsoft Windows Network.

So it looks like all she's seeing in her network is her own mshome
workstation and not my samba server.

Is there something particular about XP Home that I / she has to do to
get it to recognize another workgroup?

Should I just talk her through changing her workgroup to mySambaWG?

I've never had to deal with XP Home....

--Yan