[Samba] Home directory problem

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jan 18 01:26:03 GMT 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008 17:45:45 David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> In the thread "Network Path was not found" Michael Heydon wrote:
>>> <quote>
>>> When you have security = share you don't authenticate as a user and as
>>> such you don't have a home directory. I would suggest sticking with user
>>> level security, share level is a left over from the 9x days and is
>>> pretty much obsolete.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> I have checked, and my line is definitely security = user.  However, I
>>> still can't see my /home, even though I can see all the other shares.
>>> What other conditions can cause this?
>>>
>>> Anne
>> Anne,
>>
>> 	I bet you have changed the default permission for your home directories
>> from 0755 (rwxr-xr-x) to something else.
>
> I forgot to answer that bit -
>
> drwxr-xr-x 48 anne    users    4096 2008-01-17 18:56 anne/
>
> Besides, if one laptop can read and write to it, the other one should also.
> And it can, if I use smb4k to launch it in konqueror.
>
> Anne

Yes,

	It has been a while, good to hear from you again. From your home
permissions it appears you have bolted from mdk, unless they have picked
up the openSuSE group scheme ;-) I don't know what to tell you on the
homes issue. Most kernels have dropped smbfs support in favor of cifs.
What I have been doing linux-to-linux is using mount.cifs for samba
shares in the following fashion:

mount.cifs //host/theusername /mnt/mountpoint/ -o
username=theusername,uid=1000,password=pass

	I'm sure their is a more automated way to do this, but with only 10
people in the office it isn't a problem. I haven't used smb4k, but I
have seen others that have successfully.

	Without smb4k, I use konqueror and just type smb://host into the
address bar and it shows all shares including the the users home dir
that can be linked, etc... Someone smarter than I will have to add more
to the discussion.

	Again, good to hear from you!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.