[Samba] Home directory problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:02:08 GMT 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 17:45:45 David C. Rankin wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > In the thread "Network Path was not found" Michael Heydon wrote:
> > <quote>
> > When you have security = share you don't authenticate as a user and as
> > such you don't have a home directory. I would suggest sticking with user
> > level security, share level is a left over from the 9x days and is
> > pretty much obsolete.
> > </quote>
> >
> > I have checked, and my line is definitely security = user.  However, I
> > still can't see my /home, even though I can see all the other shares.
> > What other conditions can cause this?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne,
>
> 	I bet you have changed the default permission for your home directories
> from 0755 (rwxr-xr-x) to something else. If I recall you need world r-x
> for this to work with homes configured in smb.conf as:
>
> [homes]
>     comment = Home Directories
>     browseable = no
>     writable = yes
>
> 	Give it a shot.

Hi, David.  Long time since we spoke :-)

I have 'read only = no' and as far as I can tell from all the documentation,
both forms are recognised by samba.

I have made one discovery, though, that is interesting.  I've installed smb4k,
and found that it can access my home directory, as well as the other shares.
Some are labelled cifs and others samba filesystems.  However, since I can
access some of each type, it's probably not significant.

Anne