[Samba] question concerning ldapsam:editposix and winbind

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Jan 16 18:26:00 GMT 2008

yes, linux distros require nss_ldap and pam_ldap to authenticate linux
shell accounts against ldap.  if you are using fedora/centos you can use
authconfig and select ldap and put in the required info.  and you'll
need to add ldap to the passwd: shadow: and group: entries in
/etc/nsswitch.conf

authconfig will configure /etc/ldap.conf and edd the required ldap
attributes to /etc/pam.d/system-auth

not sure about freebsd but it shouldn't be too different. (famous last
words!)

to convert your existing /etc/passwd users to ldap, you can use the PADL
migration tools.