[Samba] Excessive files in a single folder.

Brett Maton Brett.Maton at simplyhealth.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 11:43:08 GMT 2008

I've got a Linux server with over 1.5 Million files in a single directory,
which as you will probably agree is not a good idea.

My problem is that the management refuses to accept that it's a bad idea to
have that many files in a single directory.

To make the problem worse, the folder in question is exported via Samba and NFS!

Has anyone come across any references/documents that I could use to slap some sense into them?

I've not had much luck in finding anything to support my concerns on the web, I assume this is
because nobody in their right minds would design an application to work this way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brett Maton
Linux Consultant
RHCE #805007238628267

Anton House
Chantry Street
Andover
SP10 1DE

Mobile: 07765 240365
Tel: 01264 353211 ext 2338

brett.maton at simplyhealth.co.uk
GBSLinuxAdmin at simplyhealth.co.uk (to include Mark Bradley)

This email, and the contents contained within, are private
and confidential between the sender and the individual(s)
to whom it is addressed.
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of Simplyhealth Group
Limited.

In the event of misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from
using, copying or disseminating it or any information contained in it.
If you have received this email in error please notify Simplyhealth
immediately by telephone on 0845 075 2020, or by email to
network.administrator at simplyhealth.co.uk

Simplyhealth Group Limited is registered and incorporated in England and Wales
as a company limited by guarantee. Its registered office is at Hambleden House,
Waterloo Court, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 1LQ, registered no. 5445654. We
may record or monitor telephone calls to help improve our service and protect our
members.