[Samba] question concerning ldapsam:editposix and winbind

Andrew Richey ar2748 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 15 20:19:04 GMT 2008

Hey guys,

I've gotten my samba + openldap running quite well, minus one problem
(that I know about).  I've read over plenty of documentation, the
official and other wiki's and such.  I believe I have winbind working
correctly, so I assume I won't have to use external scripts to add
groups/users/etc..

But isn't there something one must do in order for their OS (in my case
FreeBSD 6.2) to use my ldap server instead of /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files?   I'm unable to change the Administrator users password because I
have no Unix account for it, and I assume it's looking for that in
/etc/passwd.  On the same token, I can add another user who already
exists in my /etc/password  (the local user I added during the
installation of FreeBSD).  And it shows up sucsessfully in my ldap server.

At first I was thinking that the ...

ldapsam:trusted= yes
ldapsam:editposix= yes

..handled this issue, via winbind.  But that might be a misunderstanding
on my part. Anyone have any ideas?