[Samba] Vista over VPN loses connection with workgroup

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Tue Jan 15 04:04:33 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 19:41 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Rubin Bennett wrote:
> >>
> > Can you browse by IP address over the re-established VPN?
>
> I can even browse by \\name
> It's just that the Network window is empty, and when that happens, the
> system cannot access a printer shared by the WINS server.
>
> > Have you
> > tried the old ipconfig /flushdns trick either before or after
> > reconnecting the VPN?
>
> Doesn't make any difference.
>
> To recap: Samba as a WINS server, there's a Vista client that sometimes
> loses the Network Neighborhood. It's connected over VPN, but the VPN
> tunnel itself is solid, that's not the problem. The other end of the
> tunnel is the WINS server which is also an OpenVPN server.
>
> Sometimes it works fine though, it sees the Network just fine, it can
> print, etc. Some other times nothing works. I don't understand what's
> going on.
>
> Using samba-3.0.25b on CentOS 5.1 64bit

I assume you can't get to the printer properties or the print server by
UNC?  I can say that I definitely haven't seen this, but at the same
time, I don't know that the majority of my clients who use a Vista/
OpenVPN/ Samba combination would necessarily notice if they couldn't
print over the VPN.

I'll do some checking on my end to see if I can replicate the behavior
anywhere, but I honestly don't know where to go from here... Sporadic
Windows issues give me a consistent headache :)

--
Rubin Bennett
rbTechnologies
rbennett at thatitguy.com
http://thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
        -Ben Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759