[Samba] Vista over VPN loses connection with workgroup

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Jan 15 03:41:35 GMT 2008

Rubin Bennett wrote:

> Can you browse by IP address over the re-established VPN?

I can even browse by \\name
It's just that the Network window is empty, and when that happens, the
system cannot access a printer shared by the WINS server.

> Have you
> tried the old ipconfig /flushdns trick either before or after
> reconnecting the VPN?

Doesn't make any difference.

To recap: Samba as a WINS server, there's a Vista client that sometimes
loses the Network Neighborhood. It's connected over VPN, but the VPN
tunnel itself is solid, that's not the problem. The other end of the
tunnel is the WINS server which is also an OpenVPN server.

Sometimes it works fine though, it sees the Network just fine, it can
print, etc. Some other times nothing works. I don't understand what's
going on.

Using samba-3.0.25b on CentOS 5.1 64bit

--
Florin Andrei