[Samba] Auth prompt if access share by machine name

Michelle Dupuis support at ocg.ca
Sun Jan 13 16:16:05 GMT 2008

I have a AD domain running fine, and I want to add my first linux server.
To keep things simple, I do NOT want to integrate it into my domain.  I just
want to create a share that anyone can read/write to.

I've created the setup below which works fine only if I access the linux
share box by ip address from windows; eg: \\1.2.3.4  This gives me full r/w
permission without any authentication prompts.
However, if I access the box using the name (eg: \\server) then I get an
authentication prompt I can't get past.

I've read the online docs but can' find a solution.  Can someone help?
thanks,
MD

results of my testparm are below. I've replaced my real netbios domain name
with MYDOMAIN, and hidden the wins IP.  I've also disabled print sharing
which explains the printcap stuff.

Processing section "[movies]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE