[Samba] Convert existing Samba DB to LDAP

Eric Bouliane eboulian at cbnco.com
Sat Jan 12 15:45:26 GMT 2008

The setup is as follows. We have an LDAP server which we use only for
*nix authentication. The Windows authentication is held on everyone's
local PC. We have samba shares located on Server1. Server1 currently has
all samba passwords located locally. We've since integrated LDAP to
Server1 for ssh auth and what not, but would like to do the same for Samba.

So the problem is this. Our current LDAP directory did not have the
samba.schema file attached/included. Now we must activate the plugin and
a user must resync their password when we do so. I'm trying to
circumvent this, and I think a previous reply to run "pdbedit
--import=smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
--export=ldapsam:ldap://ldapserver " may work I will try that out. What
I want to do is sync the local samba accounts on Server1 to my LDAP. We
have several servers and only 1 or 2 that use samba shares, so we want
to limit access, but don't want 100+ people needing to resync their
passwords at our desks when we activate the samba plugin.