[Samba] Convert existing Samba DB to LDAP

Eric Bouliane eboulian at cbnco.com
Fri Jan 11 20:21:17 GMT 2008

We currently have an OpenLDAP server with many nodes authenticating to
it for various things. We have an existing server that is now using LDAP
to authenticate, but would like to have Samba in turn authenticate to
it. We've configured the smb.conf file accordingly and can get this working.

Our dilemma is in adding the "Manage samba account parameters" plug-in
via the Yast User/Group modification. When doing this and attempting to
finish editing existing users, it errors out with "Change the passwordto
create the Samba account". We would like to prevent having all of our
LDAP users come to our desks to change the password individually, is
there a way to globally set this and use either existing passwords
within the samba/secrets.tdb file or those set within LDAP already?

Cheers.