[Samba] Windows XP always see folder with read-only attribute set

Rune Tønnesen rune at tonnesen.org
Fri Jan 11 19:35:34 GMT 2008

Chris Smith skrev:
> On Friday 11 January 2008, Chris Smith wrote:
>
>> instead
>> of "writable" or "writable".
>>

> SHould be "writeable" or "writable".

Sorry I was wrong about that.

Back to the problem

from
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html

try this

      Users Cannot Write to a Public Share

The following complaint has frequently been voiced on the Samba mailing
list: " We are facing some troubles with file/directory permissions. I
can log on the domain as admin user (root), and there's a public share
on which everyone needs to have permission to create/modify files, but
only root can change the file, no one else can. We need to constantly go
to the server to *|chgrp -R users *|* and *|chown -R nobody *|* to allow
other users to change the file. "

Here is one way the problem can be solved:

   1.

      Go to the top of the directory that is shared.

   2.

      Set the ownership to whatever public user and group you want

      |$ |find `directory_name' -type d -exec chown user:group {}\;
      |$ |find `directory_name' -type d -exec chmod 2775 {}\;
      |$ |find `directory_name' -type f -exec chmod 0775 {}\;
      |$ |find `directory_name' -type f -exec chown user:group {}\;

            Note

      The above will set the |SGID bit| on all directories. Read your
      UNIX/Linux man page on what that does. This ensures that all files
      and directories that are created in the directory tree will be
      owned by the current user and will be owned by the group that owns
      the directory in which it is created.

   3.

      Directory is /|/foodbar|/:

      |$ |*|chown jack:engr /foodbar|*

            Note

      This is the same as doing:

      |$ |*|chown jack /foodbar|*
      |$ |*|chgrp engr /foodbar|*

   4.

      Now type:

      |$ |*|chmod 2775 /foodbar|*
      |$ |*|ls -al /foodbar/..|*

      You should see:

      drwxrwsr-x  2 jack  engr    48 2003-02-04 09:55 foodbar

   5.

      Now type:

      |$ |*|su - jill|*
      |$ |*|cd /foodbar|*
      |$ |*|touch Afile|*
      |$ |*|ls -al|*

      You should see that the file |Afile| created by Jill will have
      ownership and permissions of Jack, as follows:

      -rw-r--r--  1 jill  engr     0 2007-01-18 19:41 Afile

   6.

      If the user that must have write permission in the directory is
      not a member of the group /engr/ set in the |smb.conf| entry for
      the share:

      /|force group = engr|/

--
Rune Tønnesen