[Samba] id: cannot find name for group ID

Andrew Zbikowski andyzib at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 18:42:54 GMT 2008

I'm trying to figure this out, but not having any luck...

I'm running Ubuntu 6.01.1 LTS, which has Samba 3.0.22 included in the
distribution.

I've got samba and winbind configured, as well as nssswitch. Active
Directory users are able to log into the computer and are
authenticated by samba, but when I log in via a console:

# su - llama
Creating directory '/home/CORP/llama'.
id: cannot find name for group ID 5001
id: cannot find name for group ID 5002
llama at TTMNLNX01:~$ logout

This happens when logging in normally as well. (not using su -)

The important parts from smb.conf:

[global]
        include = /etc/samba/ads.conf
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        load printers = Yes
        printcap name = cups
        ldap ssl = no
        printing = cups
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        lppause command = /usr/bin/cupsdisable %p
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/cupsenable %p
        queuepause command = /usr/bin/cupsdisable %p
        server string = TTMNLNX01

And the ads.conf that is included from smb.conf:
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        idmap uid = 5000-999999
        idmap gid = 5000-999999
        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        security = ADS
        password server = DC1
        workgroup = CORP
        realm = CORP.LOCAL
        auth methods = winbind
        netbios name = TTMNLNX01
        server signing = auto
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No

Things seem to work well enough for the moment, but I would really
like to get rid of the cannot find name for group message.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com