[Samba] Creating samba shares from windows machine?

Steven Whaley steven at puryear-it.com
Fri Jan 11 18:24:34 GMT 2008

We have two samba boxes using ads security in a windows domain, and
would like for members of the Domain Admins group to be able to create
shares on the samba boxes using the Computer Management snap-in.  When I
attempt to do this I get access denied errors.  Is this possible, and if
so, how would I go about setting it up?

Here is the relevant portion from smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAINNAME
        security = ads
        realm = DOMAINNAME
        password server = pw.domain.com
        encrypt passwords = yes
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        netbios name = HOSTNAME
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes

        # W2K3-SP1 / W2K-SP4-SR1 COMPATIBILITY WORKAROUND
        # The following statement turns off Samba's attempts to use netlogon
        # schannel when connecting as a client to other SMB hosts.
        client schannel = no

        # GENERAL WINDOWS 2000, 2003, and XP-RELATED COMPATIBILITY SETTINGS
        # These two settings tend to improve Samba's compatibility with
newer
        # Windows systems:
        client use spnego = no
        server signing = auto

        # prevent conflicts with AD
        os level = 1
        domain master = no

Thanks!

--
Puryear Information Technology, LLC
Baton Rouge, LA * 225-706-8414

Visit http://www.puryear-it.com/pubs/ebooks/ to download your free
copies of:

 "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
 "Spam Fighting and Email Security in the 21st Century"