Fwd: [Samba] Windows doesn't show Samba group names, only SIDs

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 15:47:38 GMT 2008

Forwarding this to the list:

>> I've had that problem before and it was always due to winbindd not
>> running
>> or not running properly.
>>
>> If you have swat loaded you should be able check the status tab as well
>> as
>> restart winbindd.
>>
> With ldap (no ads) you supposedly do not need winbind but I can admit
> I have seen this behavior so I am not sure.
>
> John

I'm running samba as a domain controller in two locations, both with
OpenLDAP and yes, winbindd is installed and running.  You don't actually
"need" winbind, but you won't get your group and user name mapping without
it.  You may also want to post a copy of your smb.conf on the list and
drop a copy to me.  You have the following config option in the smb.conf
for windbind and LDAP working together.  In this case, the idmap backend
option is assuming that the samba domain controller and the LDAP server
are the same box.  It's been working great for me for about three years
now.

        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1/
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431

Also, I'm not sure about Suse, but with RedHat, I had to install and
enable winbindd.  It wasn't installed with samba.

Jim