[Samba] RE: Sync passwords unix/smb with FDS backend?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 02:31:42 GMT 2008

> Sorry about the acro, I am working with Fedora Directory Server (ldap).
> Currently user passwords stored in FDS can be changed from netatalk
> (apple protocol), FDS web interface, or unix/passwd via the PAM
> interface. To hit all three of these areas I would think that the
> password sync would need to somehow be down in FDS.
> Looking forward I would like to find an ldap solution. Anything else
> will cause additional steps when I add new users to the network.
> I will read through pbedit but unless I can trigger it through ldap I
> don't know what good it will do.

See if FDS has an overlay/plugin/yadayada like OpenLDAP's smbk5pwd (sp?)
that lets the client perform an change-password exop and have all the
passwords managed by the server (DSA).  Samba supports this mode,  don't
know about netatalk.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com