[Samba] Name Resolution (Network Browsing) in Samba4 server with Vista Client?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 9 21:47:38 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 04:06 -0800, Timothy Bisson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get a samba4 server to show up while "network browsing"
> on a Vista client, but with no success. I've scoured the web and tried
> many things, but most documentation is for samba3. I can however mount
> the samba4 share using it's UNC path, but I really want netbios name
> resolution to work.

As you have found, netbios name resolution works fine, but indeed, we do
not support netbios browsing.  This older protocol is still very useful,
but no developers have yet found the time to implement it in Samba4.

> With samba 3.0.28, as soon as I start smbd and nmbd, I can view my
> samba server through Network Browsing.
>
> Does Samba4 support name resolution?
> -If so, how would one configure samba4 to do so?
> -If not, what I really want is SMB2 support. How much effort would it
> take to backport smb2 to samba 3.2? Would the best approach be to
> incorporate the smb_server/smb2 code into samba3/smbd code, or to
> completely replace the samba3/smbd code with the samba4/smbd and
> samba4/smb_server code?

It would be far less effort to incorporate some other form of network
browsing, such as links with avahi for mDNS based browsing (perhaps
extended for Microsoft's LLMNR), or an implementation of NetBIOS
browsing into Samba4.

> I'm not really sure what else to try so any suggestions are greatly
> appreciated.

Perhaps best to discuss this on samba-technical, while Samba4 is under
pre-release development.  I don't tend to look for Samba4 mail here very
often.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett