[Samba] Re: Sync passwords unix/smb with FDS backend?

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Wed Jan 9 20:58:08 GMT 2008

The PAM module I mentioned is not for sync, really, but for initial
migration from /etc/passwd to an NT-hashed password store (in smbpasswd
format).

If you're trying to sync passwords (a person has accounts in both places
with working passwords on both sides already and just wants them both to
change at the same time), then there are other ways to handle this natively.

Deas, Jim wrote:
> Sorry about the acro, I am working with Fedora Directory Server (ldap).
> Currently user passwords stored in FDS can be changed from netatalk
> (apple protocol), FDS web interface, or unix/passwd via the PAM
> interface. To hit all three of these areas I would think that the
> password sync would need to somehow be down in FDS.
> Looking forward I would like to find an ldap solution. Anything else
> will cause additional steps when I add new users to the network.
> I will read through pbedit but unless I can trigger it through ldap I
> don't know what good it will do.
>
> JD

- --