[Samba] Sync passwords unix/smb with FDS backend?

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Wed Jan 9 19:13:45 GMT 2008

Hi Jim,
> Using simple authentication I have been able to tie FDS to Samba 3.x.24.
> Knowing that the unix passwd and smb passwd are different, dare I ask
> how difficult it would be to have them sync? Most of my users are using
> netatalk w/ posix user info and MD5 password. I would like to swing this
> over to samba without the worries of two passwords per user. I have seen
> blips on this but not directly related to FDS

if you store both your samba and your unix password in the ldap, you can
get them in sync by updating both of them when one change its password.
You'll need to update the smb.conf file to take that into account for
the windows part, and update your other password changing apps accordingly.

If what you want is in fact getting a NTLM hash from the existing md5
hash, I'm afraid it won't be possible. Users will have to change their
password once to update both ntlm and md5 password hash.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon