[Samba] Re: Need help with SWAT

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 04:02:27 GMT 2008

Donald Woeltje wrote:
> No matter what I try, I cannot get SWAT to work. No, I'm new to solaris, so maybe I'm not doing something that should be done prior to trying to use SWAT. Samba does seem to be working, somewhat. I can connect to a share using the smbclient on the same solaris system that I installed samba on....but I cannot connect to the share on the solaris system with my Windows XP system. Since it is part of a domain, it's possible that the sysadmins may have some sort of AD policy in affect that is preventing me from connecting to the solaris system's Windows-compatible resources. So, until I try at home, I can't say definitively that Windows to Samba functionality isn't working at all. It just isn't working from my Windows client to my Solaris Samba network shares. But the smbclient program does connect to the shares successfully.
>
> But no matter what I do, I cannot get SWAT to work. I've read the FAQ's and HOWTO's; I can't find anything on troubleshooting SWAT problems. Maybe I don't have inetd setup properly? Or maybe there is something else I've missed.
>
> I could really use some help.

Can you describe your network topology a bit more?  Are you trying to
cross subnets, firewalls, routers, and what browsing protocol(s) are you
employing for resolution?

Tell me a bit about how your authenticating yourself to the samba
server(security mode, user or guest, etc...) and the security measures
you have in place on the solaris box (firewall, ACLs, perms, etc...).
Also, do your logs indicate anything amiss, or are you receiving ICMPs
back at all?  Do you get an error from the windows client?

This information should provide a somewhat more clear picture of what's
going on.