[Samba] msdfs problem

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Jan 8 01:55:20 GMT 2008

John Drescher wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 10:29 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
>> I think I've set up my msdfs correctly, but I keep getting the following
>> message when I try to connect to it:
>>
>> [2008/01/07 05:00:45, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1003)
>>   '/etc/samba/xyz' does not exist or permission denied when connecting
>> to [beaufort] Error was No such file or directory
>>
>> I have kahn in both hosts and lmhosts.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
>>
>> root at Lethe:/etc/samba# ls -l
>> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           14 Jan  7 01:38 lmhosts
>> -rw-------    1 root     root         8192 Jan  6 00:36 secrets.tdb
>> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1033 Jan  7 05:00 smb.conf
>> -rw-------    1 root     root          103 Jan  7 04:55 smbpasswd
>> drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Jan  7 02:08 x
>> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jan  7 04:10 xyz ->
>> msdfs:kahn\data
>> root at Lethe:/etc/samba#
>>

> xyz should be a folder and inside this folder you put the msdfs link.

OK, thanks, got that fixed - but the problem persists.

My test winXP install just comes back with a 'network path was not
found' error.

There are no errors in the log files....

The remote server is not directly accessible from the test winXP install.

In other words,

remote server \\kahn <---> vpn server \\lethe  <--> WinXP

I can't send broadcasts through the vpn.  There is no route between
winXP and \\kahn; in fact winXP cannot resolve kahn.  Is there some way
I can connect to kahn from winXP?

I can't find any documentation on msdfs proxy ; could that be what I am
looking for?

--Yan