Fw: [Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25

Vickie L. Kidder Vickie.Kidder at TABASCO.com
Mon Jan 7 17:13:48 GMT 2008

I was able to get my print drivers to upload after doing the following.

1) Checked that the settings for the printer driver upload directory were
set to allow my account to write to it.
/# ls -l /s01/samba
drwxrwsr-x   3 vlkidder samba           512 Jan 06 21:45 drivers

2) Removed the printer admin option from smb.conf file.
These are my current smb.conf settings related to printing.
; Global Settings for Printers
  printing = aix
  load printers = yes
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -h -r %s
  lpq command = enq -e -As -P'%p'
  use client driver = no
[printers]
   comment = samba printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   public = no
   read only = yes
   writeable = no
[print$]
   comment = samba printer driver upload
   path = /s01/samba/drivers
   write list = vlkidder
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes

3) Ran "net rpc rights grant vlkidder SePrintOperatorPrivilege" to grant
my account "vlkidder" printer admin rights.
I'm not sure why, but when I run a net rpc command I get this the error
message
"Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1 The username or password was not
correct. Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".  There is a password
for root account in the smbpasswd file. If I reset the samba password for
root using "smbpasswd root", I can run the net rpc commands with no
problem.

That's it.  Now driver upload works fine.

The error I originally posted "_spoolss_addprinterdriver: Failed to send
message about upgrading driver[]!" still shows up in my log file. The
driver uploads and I'm able to modify the printer properties, connect the
printer to a client computer, and print, so I'm not going to worry about
it.

Richard Chapman <rchapman at aardvark.com.au> wrote on 01/05/2008 06:42:11
PM: