[Samba] Propose mount.cifs/smbfs able to mount the child folder of share folder

kstan kstan79 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:19:47 GMT 2008

Hi Samba team,

I feel user will feel more confortable when they can mount folder (via
mount.cifs or mount.smbfs) under particular shared folder.

Example:
I have a share folder call department, all department's folder arrange
inside

so I have a share folder call \\server\department

if I have a linux client under purchasing, I 2 command to get the
correct place, and I feel it is giving more trouble

command 1
mount -t cifs  -o (with necessary
option) //server/department /sharefolder/.pathtoatempararyfolder

command 2:
ln -s /sharefolder/.pathtoatempararyfolder/purchasing

It is much more better if we can simplied the share via this command:
mount -t cifs  -o (with necessary
option) //server/department/purchasing /home/purchasinguser/Desktop/mydepartmentdata