[Samba] Another Uploading Printer drivers problem.

Richard Chapman rchapman at aardvark.com.au
Sat Jan 5 06:22:54 GMT 2008

Hi again Willy, Dale and Ryan

You were all right about everything. I have made quite a bit of progress
- mainly in understanding - but still have problems....

Firstly - Ryan was right - that I completely misunderstood the "Client
Driver" versus "Server Driver" issue.
You were also right - that I was attempting the upload incorrectly - and
the method suggested by Willy behaves very differently.

One difficulty I have is that I am using a workgroup rather than domain
- and this seems to confuse many of the permissions issues. I don't
really understand how the windows, smaba and linux users relate to each
other. This makes it a little difficult to compare our smb.conf files.
Still - let me tell you what I have done - and the problems I still
have. I have been mainly following Dale's suggested link:
http://blog.aplpi.com/index.php/2007/03/

Firstly - My Windows username is rhc - and my linux username is richard
just to confuse the issue. (Don't ask why - but I will blame
microsoft.... They wouldn't let me have the same username as machine
name..).  But I have defined a samba to unix user mapping. I have also
created a linux user rhc with the same password as the windows user. I
have defined a group mtadmin - and set it as the secondary group for
both richard and rhc.

I have defined the print$ share thus:
[print$]
    comment = Windows Printer Driver Share
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        write list = root, @ntadmin, richard, rhc
        admin users = root, @ntadmin, richard, rhc

I note that Dale suggested the last line whereas the blog suggested:
    print admin =

I have tried both.

Problem 1:
When I go to \\server\print$
It correctly displays the 8 empty sub folders. However - if  try to
create a "New Folder" in the drivers folder (as suggested in the blog
link) - I get he windows message:
"Unable to Create the folder "New Folder". Access is denied.

This seems wrong to me. The /var/lib/samba/drivers folder gives everyone
write access. As far as I can see - I have done everything possible to
provide samba access to richard and rhc.

Problem 2 - and probably related to the first:
If I go to \\server and then printers and faxes - I don't see a server
properties when I right click - but the file menu has the server properties.
I then go to the driver tab. There are no drivers shown - but the "add"
button is greyed out.

Problem 3:
In a terminal window logged on as root I have tried the command:

net rpc rights grant smulcahy SePrintOperatorPrivilege

It asks for a password - and I give it the root password. This appears
to work when the "mulcahy" is not a user on my system. However if I put
a known user on my linux system - I get the error:
Failed to grant privileges for richard (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Richard.