[Samba] Do I need Winbind?

Boaz Bezborodko boaz at mirrotek.com
Fri Jan 4 15:56:50 GMT 2008

With a recent upgrade to Centos 4.6 my system's Samba was also upgraded
to 3.0.25b.  But now I get a series of
auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792) and
auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758) errors every day.

As I understand it winbind allows users to be logged in as Linux users
when they log in as Windows users.  But since I don't want them to have
access to the Linux server can I simply disable Winbind and how would I
do it?

Would I need Winbind if I want to upgrade the server to handle ACL?

Boaz