[Samba] Fedora samba and ldap (resend)

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 19:08:13 GMT 2008

> I am currently using the Fedora Open directory with a posix structure
> user information to authenticate several hundred Mac users.
> Currently this is being done using the netatalk package for userId, UID,
> GID, password, home directory.
> What I am looking for is a way to move from netatalk to Samba without
> losing my LDAP capabilities.

Migrating from a POSIX (RFC2307) configuration should be *very* straight
forward.

> I have seen several post related to doing this but none that give me
> specific information on Fedora 7 and its precompiled version of Samba.

If Samba is linked against the LDAP libraries it should have everythingh
you need.

ldd /usr/sbin/smbd  | grep -i ldap

> Can someone confirm for me that this distribution is PAM enabled and
> that ldap using posix user info is compatible?

It is, as is every mainline Linux distro.
--
          Consonance: an Open Source .NET OpenGroupware client.
 Contact:awilliam at whitemiceconsulting.com   http://freshmeat.net/projects/consonance/