[Samba] printers stop working

armin walland a.walland at focusmr.com
Thu Jan 3 12:02:05 GMT 2008

hi!

we seem to have a weird problem with our samba server and i hope somebody can
point me in the right direction to find the cause of this problem

setup:
smbAT02:~# uname -a
Linux smbAT02 2.6.18-5-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Dec 22 20:43:59 UTC 2007 x86_64
GNU/Linux
.) the OS is debian stable (etch)
.) samba version is 3.0.24-6etch9
.) the server has 8GB of RAM, 2 quad core intel cpus, about 1.5 TB of user
data and between 40 and 100 concurrent users.

we use CUPS as printing backend and in general everything is working just fine
but since we initially installed the server about 1 month ago we had 3
incidents where printing on one of the configured network printers
(configured as RAW printers in cups) just stopped working. the windows
clients just displayed an 'access denied' message. printing directly via CUPS
worked so we figured the problem must be samba.

please take a look at this (HPCLJ4600 was working, HPCLJ4700 was not):

# smbclient \\\\smbat02\\HPCLJ4600 -U username
Password:
Domain=[FOCUS-AT-01] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]
smb: \> print /exports/samba/home/username/test.txt
putting file /exports/samba/home/username/test.txt as test.txt-9135 (2.7 kb/s)
(average 2.7 kb/s)
smb: \> exit

# smbclient \\\\smbat02\\HPCLJ4700 -U username
Password:
Domain=[FOCUS-AT-01] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]
smb: \> print /exports/samba/home/username/test.txt
NT_STATUS_DISK_FULL opening remote file test.txt-9160

the [printers] section from smb.conf looks like this:

[printers]
        comment = Printers
        path = /tmp
        browseable = No
        printable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

during all this there was plenty of space left on /tmp and also
on /var/cache/samba/printing where the tdb files reside so i really don't get
the DISK_FULL error message.

the problem turned out to be solvable by removing or renaming the
corresponding printer's tdb file. the funny thing is, that the tdb files seem
completely ok:

(HPCLJ4700.tdb.bak is the one with which printing did not work)

# tdbbackup -v HPCLJ4700.tdb.bak
HPCLJ4700.tdb.bak : 1007 records

# tdbbackup -v HPCLJ4700.tdb
HPCLJ4700.tdb : 634 records

the same with a different printer:
# tdbbackup -v HPLJ9050.tdb.bak
HPLJ9050.tdb.bak : 1009 records

# tdbbackup -v HPLJ9050.tdb
HPLJ9050.tdb : 54 records

we are using mostly windows 2000 and some windows XP client machines.
big thanks in advance for any ideas that could help me resolve that...3 broken
printers in about a month is really not too good.

are there any limits on filesizes or maximum records that can be in a
printer's tdb file? any other ideas what could have caused this?

--
best rgds, armin walland

focus market research
IT :: development, administration