Re [Samba] LDAP adding workstation accounts fails (but not really???)

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Fri Feb 29 16:55:45 GMT 2008

Hi.

I've been struggling with this also. Our add machine script is a PHP script.
It basically adds this in LDAP:

	dn: uid=testing$,ou=machines,dc=falw,dc=vu,dc=nl
	objectClass: top
	objectClass: person
	objectClass: posixAccount
	uid: testing$
	sn: testing$
	cn: testing$
	loginShell: /bin/false
	homeDirectory: /dev/null
	uidNumber: 60000
	gidNumber: 65000

No more, no less. After the machine said it was successfully joined, Samba
added these attributes all by himself:

	objectClass: sambaSamAccount
	sambaAcctFlags: [W          ]
	sambaNTPassword:: xxxxx
	sambaPwdCanChange: 1174918415
	sambaPwdLastSet: 1174918415
	sambaSID:: yyyyy

(so there's what the entry in LDAP should look like.)

I found out that in our setup (Solaris 9, OpenLDAP), I had to put in a 'sleep'
of 10 seconds at the end of the add machine script. I know this sounds lame,
but it was the only way machines could be joined to the domain successfully.
Maybe you should experiment some with a sleep too.

-Remy