Re [Samba] LDAP adding workstation accounts fails (but not really???)

Pat Riehecky prieheck at iwu.edu
Fri Feb 29 16:00:36 GMT 2008

Blast.

My workstation account looks like the following after my failure to join
the domain.

dn: uid=testing$,ou=Computers,dc=iwu,dc=edu
objectClass: top
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
cn: testing$
uid: testing$
uidNumber: 1006
gidNumber: 515
homeDirectory: /dev/null
loginShell: /bin/false
gecos: Computer

I built up a Fedora 8 box and pointed it at my LDAP server and I still
cannot su down to that user.  I figured using the graphical tool for
setting up pam_ldap would eliminate whatever mistake I have made that I
just cannot seem to find.  But it too cannot su down to testing$.

I just removed and reinstalled samba, now more stuff is not working.  I
am going to assume my test box is just too hosed up and leave it at
that.  When I get around to rebuilding it I will almost certainly have
this problem again since I don't know what caused it I am doomed to
repeat it....

Thanks for all the help
Pat