[Samba] [Samba to samba transfert] Timestamp problem

Guenter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Thu Feb 28 16:13:25 GMT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2008 schrieb Hervé Richard:
> Ross Smith wrote:
> > I don't have a lot of experience of Samba, but under windows that's exactly what I'd expect to see if you copied a bunch of files.  To retain timestamps under windows you generally need to use a backup program and not a copy one.
> >
> > However, since you're using Nautilus, are you actually using Samba to do the copy?  I'm wondering if you would be better just avoiding Samba and using Linux / Unix file transfer tools.  A quick google has brought up cp --preserve=timestamps so I would imagine there are ways to do this.
> >

> Using nautilus was easy and more flexible to make transfer but at the
> end it took more time according to the timestamps problem :-/
> Yep I used scp -pr to copy and preserving timestamps.
> So in "résumé" scp is an alternative / workaround but not a solution to
> the problem.
> What about a little patch in the future? ;-)
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Hervé

It has already been mentioned, that a normal file copy does not preserve time stamps!
Inside a console, (assuming file "test" is present), try
  stat test && cp test /tmp && stat /tmp/test
As can be seen, no time stamps are preserved!

But
  stat test && cp -p test /tmp && stat /tmp/test
does preserve them.

Note, that the '-p' option is not available on all *nixes.

So nautilus would need a configuration option (or similar) to
allow what you want.
It's not a samba problem at all.
Cheers, Günter