[Samba] Samba server joining domain and browsing group shares

Alex de Vaal samba.alex at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:39:49 GMT 2008

Hello,

Want you want is rather easy, I have it running.

My Samba server (on Red Hat) is Domain member of a W2k3 native AD, so it is
joined to the domain (net ads join -Uusername%password)

This is how my smb.conf looks like:

# Global Parameters Needed For Samba 3.0.27a
[global]
    workgroup = TEST
    realm = TEST.COM
    server string = %h server (Samba %v)
    security = ADS
    password server = adm04.test.com, adm01.test.com
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 200
    printcap cache time = 660
    domain master = No
    ldap timeout = 15
    idmap uid = 10000-30000
    idmap gid = 10000-30000
    template homedir = /data/hom/%U
    template shell = /bin/bash
    winbind cache time = 660
    printer admin = "@TEST.COM\Domain Admins", @TEST.COM\DEP_ADMIN
    oplocks = No
    level2 oplocks = No
    default devmode = No
    enable privileges = Yes
    host msdfs = No
    msdfs root = No
    winbind enum users = Yes
    winbind enum groups = Yes
    winbind nested groups = No
    printing = cups
    strict locking = Yes

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    browseable = No

[grp]
    comment = Group Directory
    path = /data/grp
    valid users = @TEST.COM\DEP_TEST_MEMBER
    read only = No
    inherit permissions = Yes
    hide unreadable = Yes

On the server you have to use the chown command and chmod command to give
the AD group DEP_TEST_MEMBER access on the Linux filesystem:
chmod g+s /data/grp
chown 0:"TEST\DEP_TEST_MEMBER" /data/grp

I have 200+ sites running like this... ;-)

Regards,
Alex.