[Samba] Samba and wins

Dominic Iadicicco diadicic at sctylib.org
Wed Feb 27 23:14:00 GMT 2008

Hello all,

 I have two different samba domains on the same subnet.  Both have there
own samba PDC.     We'll call them "staff" and "public".  The subnet is a
172.16.12.0 subnet.  Both PDC are acting as wins servers for there own
domain. This works fine so far.  I want to be able to sync the staff
browse list with the public browse list.  I put "Remote browse sync = (IP
address of the public server) " option on the staff PDC and restarted
samba on that machine.  How do I know if it is really doing anything?
When I ping a machine on the other domain it still doing it via
broadcasting and when I look at the nmbd.log file of the staff domain
controller I see nothing about a browse sync.   Could someone point me in
the right direction as to where I should look next.  If you want more
info please don't hesitate to ask.

Dominic Iadicicco
South County Library