[Samba] Re: Performance issues after samba update (utime?)

Alex Still alex.ranskis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:43:42 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Alex Still <alex.ranskis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're experiencing performance issues after migrating from 3.0.8 to 3.0.28
> .
> Write performance has degraded about 30%, regardless of the size of file
> being copied. (tests described below are a single 150Mb file copy from an XP
> explorer)

[..]

I think I found it.
Samba-3.0.28 calls set_filetime() from real_write_file(), which 3.0.8 isn't
doing.
set_filetime -> utimes -> nfs SETATTR (in my case)
After removing that bit from real_write_file, I get exactly the same
performance I had before. Now, I realise this has probably been put there
for a reason...

Stuck now, any advice on the matter appreciated

Cheers,

--
Alex