[Samba] Re: Linux clients, "force * mode"

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Feb 27 16:02:39 GMT 2008

pbowers wrote:
> To get "force create mode" and "force directory mode" to work with cifs
> clients try setting "unix extensions = no" in your smb.conf.  It worked for
> me.

(chuckle) Just came to report to this list the solution that was finally found.

Indeed, "unix extensions = no" seems to be the correct answer. That line goes in the server smb.conf, not the client.

uid/gid's now seem in sync. When a particular workstation ID creates a dir/file, it shows up on the server's filesystem as the owner even though the uid/gid numbers do not match between client / server.

All of the "force * mode" lines were not necessary and were able to be removed. Running with the unix extensions disabled the same "* mask" lines that work for Windows clients perform equally well for
Linux clients.

The one thing I did notice, and it is related to perms, is newly created dirs/files show up on the client with 644/755 perms even though on the server file system they are actually 666/777. Seems the
client is rather insistent about the perms. Since it seems cosmetic at best, I can put up with it.

So for now, cifs and the unix extensions being enabled goes as a "later" task.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems