[Samba] Still unresolved: adding printers as a non admin domain user doesn't work

Francis Galiegue fg at one2team.com
Wed Feb 27 15:35:10 GMT 2008

Le mercredi 27 février 2008, Chris Smith a écrit :
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Francis Galiegue wrote:
> > When I use XP, the only option I have is to first add the printer as
> > either the local administrator of the machine, or the domain
> > administrator, and only then I can add this printer as a normal,
> > unpriviledged domain user. Uh.
>
> This is not a Samba issue, it's normal Windows operation. You need to
> sufficient privileges to install the driver. Once installed a normal
> user can connect to the printer. It has always worked the same way for
> me with both Win2k and XP.

Well, this page doesn't agree:

http://www.mcse.ms/archive/index.php/t-524189.html

The reported problem is exactly what I observe. Worse, even though I have XP
SP2 and an NT4-style domain, it still doesn't work.

I'll try and dig a little more on the Windows side...

Francis Galiegue, One2team - fg at one2team.com
[ATTENTION : CHANGEMENT DE COORDONNÉES !]
+33178945552, +33683877875, http://www.one2team.com
40 avenue Raymond Poincaré - 75116 PARIS