[SAMBA] how to make smbpasswd use or import system passwords?

Kyle Schmitt kyleaschmitt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:35:41 GMT 2008

Seriously, eww.  First off, your system isn't too small to take
advantage of ldap.  Not by a long shot.  Just for ease of use &
administration I've setup ldap+samba on my home network, where the
only user accounts are me, my wife and a few family members.
It's really not that hard.

Now, lets assume you don't want to use ldap & set all that up.  Fine.
You can use straight samba to keep those in sync, using the unix
password sync option.  To do that, you add something like this to your
smb.conf:

unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /bin/passwd %u

The upside of this is that changing their samba password will change
their unix password.  The downside, is that to keep things in sync,
they can't use passwd to change their unix password anymore, they'll
need to use smbpasswd.
Not a big deal really.

Now, lets say you did that, and now are having issues with one user
writing to a share, and the next user not being able to read what they
wrote (I'm just going to guess you'll run into this problem based on
what you've said so far).
Lets say you defined a share named APPS, and you have a unix group
APPS, to which these users belong.
In your share definition you need to make sure the create mask & the
directory mask allow reading/writing/executing by that group, and you
need to use the "force group" parameter.  So the whole share
definition would look something like this (after you set this up, you
may have to chown -R root:APPS that directory).
[APPS]
comment = Applications
path = /var/samba/shares/APPS
valid users = @APPS @admin