[Samba] security = user, multiple Sambas, shared LDAP

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Feb 27 08:48:17 GMT 2008

Adam Williams wrote:
> security = domain is for domain member servers, which are servers that
> are part of the domain but don't authenticate users, handle roaming
> profiles, etc.  basically you'd use them for print servers, or more
> file shares.
>
> why don't you just have a PDC and use BDCs?  sure you can have a bunch
> of domains and PDCs, but if its all for the same company, just go with
> the PDC and then a BDC on each subnet.  PDCs and BDCs both use
> security = user

There are two issues:

a) The workstations log on to another domain, managed by AD, and I don't
want to integrate Samba with that domain

b) I want each Samba server to be able to operate independently, but
give the users the convenience of a single password for all servers

I'm quite happy to create a Samba PDC, but if I can just make the Samba
servers operate as standalone servers using a common workgroup name, is
that more convenient to setup and more fault tolerant?