[Samba] Re: cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Wed Feb 20 08:56:05 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:58:54PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:22:56PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > At least considering to distribute it (or a derived work) as part of
> > the samba distribution could help samba users to switch from smbfs to
> > cifs?

> Sorry, we can't. Looks nice, but is GPLv2 only.

Is this a problem practically, or is it a matter of the Samba Team's
licensing policy?

As this is a stand-alone shell script, I wouldn't expect there to be any
license compatibility issues; but if it's a requirement that even shell
scripts be GPLv3 to ship with Samba, I'll concede "GPLv2 or greater".

Cheers,