[Samba] WINS registration refused with multiple network adapters

Dale Renton drenton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:02:23 GMT 2008

We have Samba 3.0.23c-4 running as a WINS server.  The WINS server is not
getting updated properly with our computers that switch between wireless and
wired  connectivity.  This only happens if both are enabled at the same
time, however only one is connected or being used at once.  If we disable
the one not being used in the Windows XP network control panel, then it
works fine.

For example, if we log in for the first time with wireless, WINS gets
updated with the wireless ip.  Now, if we disconnect from the wireless
network, without disabling our wireless NIC (as most of our users do), and
plugin our wired NIC and reboot, the wired ip does not get updated on the
WINS server.  It still shows the wireless ip.

Any thoughts other than stopping Samba, deleting or editing the
wins.datfile, and starting Samba ?
Thanks

Below is some info from ethereal after doing an nbtstat -RR on the XP
machine with the wireless disconnected and the wired connected.

No.     Time        Source                Destination           Protocol
Info
     32 2.997047    WiredIP               WinsIP                NBNS
Release NB XPMACHINENAME<20>
     33 2.997119    WiredIP               WinsIP                NBNS
Release NB XPMACHINENAME<00>
     34 2.997197    WiredIP               WinsIP                NBNS
Release NB DOMAINNAME<00>
     35 2.997286    WiredIP               WinsIP                NBNS
Refresh NB XPMACHINENAME<20>
     36 2.997522    WinsIP                WiredIP               NBNS
Release response, Requested name does not exist NB WiredIP
     37 2.997560    WinsIP                WiredIP               NBNS
Release response, Requested name does not exist NB WiredIP
     38 2.997630    WinsIP                WiredIP               NBNS
Release response NB WiredIP
     39 2.997852    WinsIP                WiredIP               NBNS
Registration response, Request was refused NB WiredIP
     40 2.997903    WiredIP               WinsIP                NBNS
Refresh NB XPMACHINENAME<00>
     41 2.998280    WinsIP                WiredIP               NBNS
Registration response, Request was refused NB WiredIP
     42 2.998328    WiredIP               WinsIP                NBNS
Refresh NB DOMAINNAME<00>
     43 2.999018    WinsIP                WiredIP               NBNS
Registration response NB WiredIP