[Samba] After migrating from Samba 2 to Samba 3 - home share names are case sensitive

Andreas Schmidl andreas.schmidl at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 08:41:31 GMT 2008

Hello!

We have several sun solaris servers which are now serve Samba 3 services.
For 2 weeks we migrate all servers from Samba 2 to Samba 3.
After the upgrade to Samba 3 all shares generated by [home]-section in
smb.conf have case sensitive names.

For example:

Besides root user john exists on the server and has a home folder.

If user john want to access his share with a Windows client he use the path:

\\server\john

This works great.

But if he want to access his share using the path:

\\server\JOHN

he can't access the share.

Samba 2 doesn't differ between the two paths.

Other shares on the server (no [home] share) for example [smb_test] can be
accessed by typing:

\\server\SMB_TEST or
\\server\smb_test

My [home]-section on the server:
 [homes]
        comment = UNIX Home Directory for %S
        valid users = %S
        writeable = yes
        browseable = no

In my opinion there aren't any special configuration in this section and of
course no change since migration from samba 2 to samba 3.

Are there any solution for this problem? Or is it a samba 3 security feature
;-)

Thanks for help!

Best regards,

Andreas Schmidl