[SAMBA] how to make smbpasswd use or import system passwords?

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Feb 27 03:52:22 GMT 2008

you could use a tdbsam password backend, roaming profiles, tell all your
users they will have a default password of whatever, and set their
password to be expired, so on their first log in, they will be required
to change their password.  if you read the samba docs, Windows uses a
different password encryption then what /etc/passwd uses, they aren't
compatible.

or you can map to gues = bad user, and use guest only = yes and guest ok
= yes on your shares, and set your shares not browsable, but i wouldn't
recommend that.