[Samba] APW New Driver Greyed Out

jhall at vandaliamo.net jhall at vandaliamo.net
Wed Feb 27 02:56:57 GMT 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have done this before, but  for the life of me cannot get it to work today.

I am trying to setup SAMBA to allow non-technical users (one per site) to
add printer drivers as needed.

I am running Samba 3.0.24.  Following are the relevant entries from smb.conf.

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
        pid directory = /var/run/
        workgroup = BACKUPS
        netbios name = Backup
        domain master = Yes
        time server = yes
        server string = Jefferson City Backup Server Number 1
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/user.map
        log level = 3
        pritner admin = hallja, at wheel,root
        use client driver = No

[STCLRI7500]
        use client driver = No
        comment = St. Charles Regional Office Copier
        browseable = Yes
        printable = Yes
        guest OK = Yes
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer = STCLRI7500
        printer admin = @wheel,hallja,root

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        use client driver = No
        path = /var/spool/samba/drivers
        browseable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = Yes
        admin list = root,hallja, at wheel
        write list = hallja, at wheel,root

When I click on the Advanced Tab, the New Driver box is greyed out.  From
what I have read, this is a permissions problem, but I have been unable to
find the problem.

Using myself as an example, I log into the server and my Windows user name
is mapped to hallja.  hallja is a member of the @wheel group.  hallja is
listed in the smbpasswd file.  I have also tried mapping my Windows
username to root without any success.  Mapping myself to hallja and root
yield the same result.

The directory /var/spool/samba/drivers exists, and within that directory,
I have created W32X86.  Permissions on this folder are root:wheel
rwxr-xr-x.

Looking through the logs, I did not see any obvious errors. I have bumped
the logging up to level 5.  Is there anything specific in the logs I
should be looking for?

And, what else should I be looking at?

Thanks in ad