[Samba] setup printing without a Windows PC client, how?

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Tue Feb 26 23:17:35 GMT 2008

I am setting up Samba as a work-around for situation in a Debian/Mac
OS X LAN. I have several Debian boxes and several Macs in a small
LAN. A new addition is my daughter's new Mac laptop which came with
Leopard installed.  Older Macs connected to netatalk on a Debian Etch
box, but I can't get Leopard to connect. So I'm trying to get Samba
running and serving to Mac clients.

The problem is a print driver for samba. Set up instructions from
which I working say a driver can be found on one of the client PCs on
the LAN, but ... my LAN is something of a outlier. Where can I get a
suitable driver? Or is the 'driver' merely a .ppd which I already have
(and have tried)?  If a ppd is what I need, then something else is
wrong and I will have to ask some other questions, but for now I think
my problem is a print driver for a computer that isn't on my
LAN. Advice?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net