[Samba] pam_mkhomedir.so not working.

Linux Addict linuxaddict7 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:06:47 GMT 2008

Sambains, I gotta samba setup where I use pam_mkhomedir.so to create
home dir for first time users. Same configuration is working on many
hosts and if I create a home directory manually, I can login, but not
on fly. And also when I change the /home permission to 777, its
creating home directory for new users on fly.

When strace a su session, I getting the following error. My guess is
the module is working, but something is preventing. I have selinux
disabled and root has W permission to /home.

mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1,
0) = 0x2a98c46000
write(1, "Creating directory \'/home/DOM/"..., 44Creating directory
'/home/DOM/user1'.
) = 44
mkdir("/home/DOM/user1", 0700)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
time([1203973003])                      = 1203973003

I played enough with the umask, but cudn't figure out much.

This is my pam line on system-auth

session required /lib64/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022

Cheers, LA