[Samba] Re: Adding a machine account to Samba PCD + LDAP?

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 15:03:15 GMT 2008

"Kyle Schmitt" <kyleaschmitt at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2b548b8b0802221459k3cc87817oe87110c523a8e05c at mail.gmail.com...
> How does one go about adding a machine account, or even a normal samba
> account, on a Samba PDC with LDAP back end?
>
> I wanted to avoid using something like smbldap-useradd, because I want
> to actually understand what's going on.  I'm assuming it's just some
> sort of small ldif to add, like I would for adding user, am I wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>        Kyle
> --

I use the Windows NT 4.0 tools Window Manager for Domains and Server Manager
to manage users and servers on my Samba domain.

These GUI tools interface with the smbldap-tools .

I set up LDAP and Samba in the normal way.  I use the smb-ldap tools to add
and remove users and machines.

I place the User Manager for Domains utility on a Samba share and access it
from a Windows 2000 or XP workstation.

I add computers to the domain the same way I add them in Windows.  I go to
My Computer, choose properties and join the domain.

Samba works quite well for us.