[Samba] WINS via WAN problem

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Fri Feb 22 22:57:27 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 14:47 -0800, Kevin Haddock wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I have two windows machines logging into my Linux machine via nxclient.  One
> via a LAN and the other coming in through the internet.  Both are sharing
> one printer and one folder.  The one that is on the LAN I can smbclient -L
> <host> and see, but not the one via WAN.  The shared folder works on both
> machines but the printer only works on the local.  The shared printer via
> the WAN gives a CIFS error.
>
> smbstatus -L does not show either of the machines.  Shouldn't that show the
> various machines that WINS knows about?
>
> How does WINS know/learn about non-local machines?

You tell the non local machines to use the Samba server for WINS
lookups.  I do it in DHCP, via the netbios-name-servers option
in /etc/dhcpd.conf, but you can do it directly on the workstations as
well.

Once the workstations are pointing at the right NB nameserver, then you
should be able to ping the server by it's netbios name.

HTH & TGIF,
Rubin

--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies
rbennett at thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759