[Samba] next to no frils smb.conf pointing to an existing LDAP on AIX 5.3

zijus zijus zijus at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:54:03 GMT 2008

Hello all.
Talking about Samba 3.0.28 on AIX 5.3.0.0. I am new to Samba, new to LDAP.
I got a "no frills" config running.
My goal : have a "no frills" + "authenticating against an existing already running LDAP server" config. I imagine I could get my samba server to authenticate against this LDAP Server. "Just point Samba at this LDAP, and that's it !"

See below my attempt at smb.conf. With that, from my Windows
workstation, when trying to access the share,  I get a pop up asking me
for user / pwd :  I hope I can consider that sign as a good-ish one. I give those informations, clic ok, the pop up vanishes, and then nothing. On the server I have so many logs that I don't even know which snippet makes any sense.

I can't get it to work. I Googled that as much as I could, how-to-ed it : it's a jungle. Too many param's, too many cryptic acronyms. http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ speak about initializing and creating users ( "LDAP Initialization and Creation of User and Group Accounts" ) but my users are already in my LDAP. I don't understand where I should look in the how-to collection http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/index.html.

Would some one have an example of the simplest smb.conf doing that : authenticating against an existing LDAP

Am I missing ze link to ze document ?

Best regards.
Gilles

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
   workgroup = A_WORKGROUP
   server string = Samba_Server
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   log level = 5 passdb:5 auth:10 winbind:2
   hosts allow = an.ip.range. 127.
   log file = /samba_logs/log.%m
   max log size = 100

   passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://ldap_box.target.foo_comp.com"
   ldap admin dn = uid=user_z,ou=people,ou=insiders,dc=foo_comp,dc=com
   # I used smbpasswd -w <password>
   ldap suffix = dc=foo_comp,dc=com
   ldap user suffix = ou=people,ou=insiders

   case sensitive = No
   default case = lower
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = Yes